Hush, Hush



** Disclosure: There are spoilers regarding the novel **

It used to be that I could and would read 16 books within a week back in "the day" (i.e. middle school). However, as an undergrad senior soon-to-be grad student, that's not the case. So it’s always a rare treat when I can finish a novel.


My most recent read is titled Hush, Hush, written by Becca Fitzpatrick. It was alright to say the least. I know that’s not a very descriptive word- but I assure you, a description follows! It’s surprising how the book managed to grab my attention right from the first page. I honestly can’t remember the last time a book was able to accomplish that. Perhaps it was the easy-to-read flow, perhaps it was the imagery of quick and dirty sex on a farm in the rain, or maybe it was just the fact that I had just had a 13 hour layover in Kuwait with absolutely nothing to do leaving my mental resources achingly ready to absorb the first available form of entertainment.







Moving quickly through the prologue scene, Fitzpatrick begins the bodice of her novel. Once again she begins with the intrigue of sex- this time set in an educational manner in a high school biology class. I wonder if the recurring topic of sex is a reflection of Fitzpatrick’s target audience- which I am guessing is teenagers. Another thing I noticed is that the biology class setting resembled a lot like the scene in Twilight when Bella and Edward are paired up. In the case of Hush, Hush, its Nora and Patch who are forced to work together as the result of an arranged seating assignment.

Fitzpatrick characterizes Patch as the most aggravating, arrogant man one could ever meet. Despite this, Nora seems to find some unspoken attraction to him, which – at certain moments – failed to be mirrored by my feelings. I think the author could benefit from better translating scenes into emotions the readers can relate to. Unless the intention is dramatic irony, I feel that I should be feeling whatever the protagonist if feeling. Isn’t that the purpose of reading- to be able to run away into a world where you can experience someone else’s adventures? In a play or show this would be addressed as the fourth wall. For the most part Fitzpatrick did great and I was able to immerse myself into this land of Fallen Angels and hybrids known as Nephilum, but there were moments where I was definitely not able to connect.

I wonder if this may also be a reflection of Fitzpatrick’s target audience. After all, maybe the teens aren’t so concerned with issues of the fourth wall.

Nonetheless, matters most teens are fascinated by, sex, lust, romance, are covered. Hush, Hush is really a great love story, and it takes a twist on the recent “Vampire/Human” relationship conflict by substituting the vampires for Fallen Angels. Fitzpatrick is able to keep the dark and ominous feel of a vampire love story by describing how these Fallen Angels become bad once they are shunned to live with humans for all eternity as punishment for whatever crime they have committed.

In spite of my aforementioned comment about Fitzpatrick’s failure to retain a fourth wall feel for some scenes, the chemistry between Nora and Patch is extremely well written. The two have some very heated scenes together that did gave me goose bumps. Moments between them take you right back to your first kiss or special moments- the uncertain suspense of a kiss or a touch, the explosive reaction in your heart to the simplest actions from someone you feel so much for, and overall, so much sexual tension. I just wanted to add that there are no sex scenes, and the steaming hot moments feel heated without being trashy. In fact, they always stop at such a point that you just want them to keep going- just a little bit more. Wink, wink.

The story line does include a common bad-boy-turned-good-for-love theme, but that didn’t hinder the story from reeling me in. Sometimes it’s nice to feel like younger again by reading genres of book that I used to love as a teen, and continue to love as a young adult. I would recommend this NY Times Bestseller to anyone who enjoys dark teenage romance novels- which may not be the exact genre the novel is categorized as, but if you enjoy those types of books you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I look forward to reading the next book in line: Cresendo.

** This was my first blog post J Yay! Comments, compliments and criticisms are all welcome. Thanks for reading! **

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of a whatever I am

Hello, again!

Finding strength within you