Its Okay.
I know
what it feels like. I can't speak for someone and their subjective experiences,
but I can share mine. I can share the dark, scary places my mind sometimes
takes me. The sunken feeling in my heart, as it feels like a shadow is drawn on
any and all light. A very heavy shadow. My coping habit is to cry. Because
crying is more than just "showing weakness" and tears sliding down
your face. For me, it’s letting the weight fall from my heart through my tears.
The tears aren't just wetness; they carry more than just salty water. They're
full of emotion and all the heavy darkness from my heart. I let it pour through
me.
But there's a point where you need
to stop yourself. I need to stop myself. The thoughts start to tumble, and
sometimes they keep falling. Unless you stop yourself. Cry, it’s okay to cry,
it may even be more than just okay. But limit it. After a point, let the tears
lift you, not drag you down more. I'm saying this because I've found myself
sometimes searching for reasons to keep crying. Maybe it’s because the tears
feel good at first, and make me feel happier, but then I want to keep going and
it makes it worse.
Nobody can tell you when to do any
of this; it has to be of your own volition. It all needs to be as you feel fit.
"It’s okay to cry now, I'll let it out." A few minutes later, "I
need to stop now; I need to start focusing my thoughts on the positive." I
can’t explain how you know when to do any of this. How do I know? Lots of experience,
and now I can just feel it in me, and know when to stop.
I've been in places (emotional
places) where I know all the positive but the negative still takes me over. The
pain from the negative no matter how small it may be in the larger picture, it’s
too much for me in that moment and I know that I need to just cry.
Enough about crying. Now we need to
focus on what to do after you cried. You can't just sit there and continue
being sad. The point of crying is to feel better at the end. Not end up in some
cycle of depression. Focus on positive things. Focus on all the good. Trust me,
I've heard this advice so many times in my life, and I've never been able to
really understand it and know how to use it. I can't teach anyone or tell
anyone how to do that. How did I finally learn? Honestly, after my dad died, a
lot of things suddenly just "made sense." Sayings and advice just
"clicked" and all of a sudden I could use them. Focus on the
positive, is one of those sayings. Right now I'm looking forward to seeing
someone I'm missing. I know that every day apart from them is another day
closer. I know that it’s okay to miss them, because I love them. And it’s even
better to know that they'll be back soon, and to look forward to that
day.
I have 14 days before they’re back. In these 14 days I can
actually do well for myself and for him when he returns. I can improve myself. So
I am better for him. I can eat healthy, and work out, and clean not only my
house and my environment, but my body and my mind (by working out and eating
right). I can do this. I can be more active, and I can make a habit. Or at
least a routine. I need to force myself. And it doesn't have to be so hard, but
it needs to be hard enough that I push myself to do things. I will grant myself
this day, but observe how a "loose" day makes you feel. in contrast,
tomorrow, have a routine, do things, be productive, take rest, but not so much
that you fall into a slump. Stay active. There’s always something to do.
You can't wait until "you feel like it" before you do something. You need to do it, and then your feelings will follow. You’ll be happier for it. Force yourself, I know how hard it is, but do it anyways. Force yourself. One simple step. Do 10 sit ups, if that's still too much, then do 5. And once you start keep your promise to yourself. If you said you'll only do 5 and after 5 that's all you want to do, then stop. Honor your word to yourself. But try again soon. Try often. Try try try. It’s the only thing we can keep doing to ensure success.
You can't wait until "you feel like it" before you do something. You need to do it, and then your feelings will follow. You’ll be happier for it. Force yourself, I know how hard it is, but do it anyways. Force yourself. One simple step. Do 10 sit ups, if that's still too much, then do 5. And once you start keep your promise to yourself. If you said you'll only do 5 and after 5 that's all you want to do, then stop. Honor your word to yourself. But try again soon. Try often. Try try try. It’s the only thing we can keep doing to ensure success.

Comments
Post a Comment